Sunday, February 25, 2007

greens in the bedroom window

This is the first entry into what I hope will be a fun way to keep track of and ruminate on experiences with plants and their allies ( bugs and all ). this first picture was taken last summer in our Fenced Garden area...it's a Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar dining on parsley. I never did find any chrysalis. So I don't know if a bird ate it, or the magic happened unseen by me.
Two weeks ago I started what I hope to be a bed of lettuce. A clear plastic clamshell that held purchased lettuce a few months ago is serving as the seed-starter bed. The warm, sunny South-facing window of our bedroom is where the lettuce seedlings share their first days with a 4 year-old potted banana tree and a pot-bound Impatiens brought in to bring cheer throughout the winter.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Hey, ma! We're not starting any seeds yet, but we are thinking about cleaning up the garden to plant potatoes, carrots, and spinach as soon as the ground can be worked. Spring is tsarting to fdeel within reach!